Photography Trends

Up Early Designs

A truly staggering 2.5 trillion photos were shared in 2016 (Deloitte). And only 10% were taken with a traditional camera. The other 90%? Mobile devices.

Though this speaks to the exponential growth in mobile it also points to a trend in photography itself. Photos today are less staged. They are more real. They capture true emotion versus Photoshopped ones.

Almost everyone today walks around with a camera. Before mobile, that was not the case. Sure, some would carry cameras around their neck, but few. Today everyone carries a camera in their pocket. Which means photographs have become more real. Today they capture life.

A child’s first day at school or the joy of a birthday celebration are captured in realtime. Nothing staged. Just true, honest, raw emotion. Which makes photos more relatable. Though the Photoshopped models may look good, they don’t look real. We cannot relate to them.

In designing a website, creating print ads or other marketing materials, it’s important to speak to your audience. To target them on an emotional level. Photos and video must be real. They must be relatable. To touch someone on an emotional level, the person must see themselves in the media being shown.

With social media for example, photos used for Snapchat must differ from those for Twitter. With Snapchat a story is being told. The audience is seeking true, unscripted emotion. That is not the case with Twitter. In other words, one campaign will not work across all social media outlets.

Conclusion

 

The first mobile device was released about ten years ago. And its impact on our lives and how we capture those moments has changed dramatically. What will happen in the next ten years? Advancements in technologies such as virtual reality and artificial intelligence may have an even bigger impact over a shorter period of time.

But one thing will be common. People will want to feel emotion in what they see. They want to connect. They want a reason to be a part of what you are showing them.

Categories

Archives